Sunday 3 November 2013

Aspiring Author Entrepreneur Series - Introduction

Why I started this blog series?
This series was inspired by "A SaaS Startup’s Journey to $100,000 a Month" by Groove HQ, a startup which started posting its journey to make it to $100k per month on revenues.  I got a lot of inspiration from the blog after reading it last week and the blog had one important wording that I believe is very applicable to me.  "Don't underestimate what you can teach to others"


These above words gave me the inspiration for me to start a separate blog for my journey in the world of a software book author and an Entrepreneur.  Yes.  I aspire to become a book author and an Entrepreneur.  In fact I have already published my first E-Book for programmers titled "Programmer's Motivation for Beginners" which is now available at Lulu, Apple iBookstore, My own website, Pothi.com.  Ok, enough bragging.  Let's get onto the meat of the topic.


How it all started?

 There were several reasons for me to embark on this journey to become an author and an entrepreneur.  First and foremost, I think I have it in myself to build something from scratch.  Maybe the projects that I had involved in, I took those roles and succeeded (maybe partly) where others didn't try to enter.  My latest project was a Product Development as part of an R&D team in a very large MNC organization.  That project was started from scratch under extreme uncertainties and I had to battle a lot of uncertainties in order to come up with the product. 


In short it was like building a startup from scratch.  Whether it succeeded or failed is another story.  From the organization perspective, it was a success as we had a major product company sign a great deal with us but our product was merged into theirs.  But for me, it was not a great success.  According to me, success was to see the product grow strength to strength.  So for a artistic builder like me, that was not a great result.  I was a little satisfied that after many struggles, finally it got some recognition but unfortunately I wanted more, I wanted to launch it into a huge product and that didn't happen.  So the urge to build something became even more when I was lot dissatisfied with the results. 


That is when I decided that I should do something on my own, in which I can have complete control.   But unfortunately I didn't have any financial backup to start something immediately, so all I had to do, I had to do it part time.  Before that, there were a lot of learning from the project, so I decided to share my knowledge through my blogs.  Both from the conceptual standpoint and process, journey and learning standpoint.


There is another reason for me to start the blog.  When I decided that it was time to move on with a new job, I found it difficult because by 8 years my skillsets was so diversified that it was very generic to suit any particular job title.  Then I started to reflect on myself and asked myself "Does anyone outside my organization know about my talent, skillset or performance?"  The answer was No from within?  My next question was "Does anyone apart from the ones whom you worked with know about the unique skillsets you possess?"  Again the answer was No


So I decided that I was not in good shape because I was trying to compete with people with specific skillsets and I didn't have any advantage when it comes to competitiveness.  So I asked myself "How do I make my profile standout from the rest that will make others notice?" The answer was to build something online so that I have an online reputation that I can showcase it to others.  First I concentrated on building my LinkedIn Profile and then I began to build my blogs.  My knowledge was well received.  I got decent amount of following.  Not great by any standards, but just enough to keep me motivated to blog and share my knowledge further.  That is when I decided that I will step on the accelarator to do something better.


In my next post, I will tell you how an idea of an Ebook came into my mind and how it took shape.  If you wish to stay tuned to the updates, please subscribe to the blog post (free) by submitting your email address.

No comments:

Post a Comment